Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Virgil, 7



Lachlan had news for him, at school next day. He’d heard from Gary and he had caught-up with Joel. Joel was crook, he was stuck in bed at his hostel with a bug. It was nothing serious, he wasn’t going to die or anything, but he was sick.

He was getting better now. He went away for the weekend with one of the guys on his course. They went up to his home at Waikanae, he was taken ill there and he’d been in bed ever since.

Well, that was good, maybe, sort-of. He wasn’t quite sure what he thought. He didn’t want Joel to be crook, that wasn’t good, but at least it explained why he hadn’t heard from him.

It was better than the alternative, that he just didn’t want to talk to him. Why wouldn’t he turn his blasted phone on?

He went to the library, with Colin, at lunchtime and Colin showed him how to by-pass the blocks and access his private email account on the school’s computer system.

There was no news, so that was a waste of time. (Good to know how to do it tho’). He still wished that he’d never sent that bloody email, but he had. It was too late now.

No, Colin said that there was no way of getting it back or deleting it before Joel read it, unless he knew how to access Joel’s account, which he didn’t. Dammit. If he was really lucky, he might get to talk to him before he read it. Life should be that good.

Life was not that good. He went back to the library after school and checked his email again. There was a reply from Joel. It read, “V. Got your mail. I’ll be back soon. We’ll talk then. J.”

Dammit! Was that good or not? He didn’t know. He hated all this bloody waiting. Seemed like he’d been waiting forever.

So, it was all up to Joel now. He wished he knew, was his life over or not? If Joel didn’t want to know him, at least he’d know. What would he do then? He didn’t have a clue.

He wished that he hadn’t been so stupid. He wished that he’d never sent that email and he so wished that he’d never laid eyes on bloody Hans de Groot. But, he had and he did. Dammit.

He walked out of the school just in time to see a laughing Lachlan heading down to the main street with Gary. He was back from Wellington then. They looked happy to be back together and he had no doubt about what they’d be doing when they got to Gary’s flat in 5 minutes time. Lucky Sods!

He hated them. No he didn’t, but he was SO envious! Some people had it good. Some people were fucking idiots! He walked home, very alone.

Going up the hill, he was passing through the cutting under the railway over-bridge, when the Chevy cruised past him. Whoah, Joel was back early!

That was him driving, Virgil would know him anywhere, but who was that with him? Some curly-haired stranger was sitting in the passenger seat, where Virgil should be. Who was he? Who knew? Who ever he was, Virgil hated him.

Damm! Joel wouldn’t have got himself a new boyfriend already, would he? Lachlan said that he’d been away for the weekend with some guy. No! He felt sick. He’d lost him.

But, Joel hadn’t said anything about a new relationship? That proved nothing. He hadn’t exactly been forthcoming about Hans, until it was too late. Of course Joel would have opportunities. He was a top guy and anyone would be lucky to get him.

He kept walking with his head hung low. He was going home and he was going to get drunk! Fuck it anyway.

The Chevy stopped and parked on the side of the road at the top of the cutting. Joel and his new mate got out and stood waiting for him. Dammit.

He didn’t want to face him now. He didn’t want to hear what he had to say, he knew that it was over and it was all his stupid fault this time.

There was no way to avoid him, unless he turned around and went back to school. He wasn’t doing that, he kept walking, with his head down. He’d just walk straight past them; there was nothing to say anyway. He approached the car and the pair standing there.

“I’m home, Virgil.”

He stopped, sighed and looked at his feet.

“Virgil?”

He looked up. “Joel?”

“I love you, Virgil.”

“Oh, fuck. Joel!” He burst into tears. “I love you, Joel. I love you so much!”

Joel grinned and opened his arms. Virgil flew at him and wrapped around him. He sobbed and hugged him fiercely. They kissed.

They’d both come home and all was well in their world. They broke apart and grinned at each other.

“We’ve been here before,” Joel smiled.

“Yeah, we have, and this time it was all my stupid fault. I’m really sorry, Joel.”

“Hey, you didn’t do anything.”

“No, but I nearly did. I wanted to.”

“But you didn’t.”

“Not quite. I’m so glad I woke up in time.”

“Yeah, me too.”

“So you forgive me?”

“I’d forgive you anything. I love you, you silly little bugger.”

“Cool. Thanks. Let’s go home and bugger now.”

“Virgil!” Joel laughed. “We’ll do that soon. This is Bran. He was on the course with me. I stayed with him last weekend and got sick there. Now he’s come to stay a couple of days here before he goes on to his grandparents’ in Christchurch.

Bran, this is my Virgil.”

“Hey Bran.”

“Hey Virgil. Nice to meet you. I’ve heard all about you.”

“Good things, I hope.”

“Of course! All good things. I think that Joel quite likes you really.”

“He’s a great guy, My Joel. He’s the best!”

“Yeah, he’s a good one. I suppose that you two want me to get lost now?”

“Definitely! We’ve got things to do.”

“I’ll bet you have. Okay, I’ll get lost. I’ll go for a walk and a look around. See you back at the flat, Joel.”

“Thanks, Bran. I’ll see you there later – much later. I think Gary’s back there.”

“He is,” Virgil said. “He was heading there with Lachlan. Don’t disturb them, they’re busy too.”

“Right! I don’t want to see that. Know any spare women around here? There must be a few if all the boys are paired-off together.”

“Not all of them; just the best ones. Bye, Bran. Go away now. We’re going home.”

“Okay, have fun guys. See you later.”

“Laters, Bran.”

(And, that’s it – it’s over. You can work out where it’s going now. I’ve finished – finally!

Thanks for reading. Stay well.

Cheers.)

10 comments:

Alastair said...

Yay! It's finished - and it was worth the effort (especially since it was no effort for me at all!).

I love the slushy ending - should have trusted you to pull that out of the hat.

Thanks for persevering.

Anonymous said...

"Thanks for reading. Stay well."

Thanks for sharing and of course we stay well, who wants to be sick??
But what do you mean with stay well? You will keep writing, do you??????
I´m a bit worried here...

As for the story ending, I loved it yet I would be as worried as Virgil was when my lover left me hanging, yet therefor it´s more romantic when reunited again with the best part of your life...

Take care,

hugs!!

Joah!!

Anonymous said...

Okay guys, please encourage our author as he thinks this is it forever. I surely hope he will change his mind and continue to write stories about Kiwi boys.
Still I think it would be sad if he stops now.
As he wrote me in a mail about thinking this is the end.
David your gift was in my humble opinion a great one and I surely will miss to hear from time to time new stories about my favourite boys.

Hope you will continue in a short while.

Hugs!!

Joah!!

david said...

Yay it's finished - and i wish i never bloody started that one. Don't like it, but couldn't leave it hanging.

Thanks Guys, i appreciate you sticking through to the end. I really do think it's over now. My head's empty & we don't want to flog a dead horse.

I've always thought that anyone could write a story, we all do it, it's just got to be written down. That's my theory anyway.

Thanks again and "Goodbyeeee!"

Anonymous said...

Please David don't say "Goodbyeeee", give us a little hope with a "Hope to see you in a bit.' I know that flu bug drains the life out of you and I for one will wait without a word until you feel up to sharing more of your wonderful tales. I will spend my time rereading all your past stories just waiting for a new one to surface. You've made us all your fans and friends by your story
telling...please don't say "Goodbyeee." Jim

david said...

Okay Jim, "hope to see you in little bit", but i doubt it - i'm empty. Maybe one day? we'll see.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Ohh David ..Oh David , Please dont say good bye ...I had sweared not to post a comment after i posted that silly comment last time.Did I offended you ?? If so I am sorry but dont stop writing ..

I am sure every one out here dont want you to say good byee.

Please dont stop ...Please dont stop...


Rohan ....

david said...

i ohan,

No - of course i wasn't offended. It was not a silly comment - just say what you think and thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks David,

Please dont stop ..After a long gap .. I have just started reading all ...

Please do start again .. I am sure there are many more tales ready to be explored ..many more Justins, billy, Virgils, Peter, Joel etc awaiting to be heard.

Please dont stop ..


Thanks

Rohan,

Anonymous said...

Hi David, I hope your feeling better after your bout with the flu bug. I'm feeling almost human again thank goodness, so hang in there if you're still not up to parr. Jim